Looking to improve the audio performance in your car/vehicle?
While most cars/vehicles have decent inbuilt tweeters and speakers, they lack a lot when it comes to bass response. You can easily improve the bass performance of your car audio system by adding a subwoofer to it.
12-inch subwoofers are an excellent choice as they are just right in terms of performance, cost, and size when it comes to adding them to a car or any vehicle for that matter.
This article is a list of the best 12-inch subwoofers you can buy right now. Read on and choose the one that you think will suit your needs the most.
|Top 5 Best 12-inch Subwoofers||Features||Price|
|Rockford Fosgate P3D4-12||Extremely well-built subwoofer|
Loud and precise performance
FlexFit design allows adjustment after mounting
|Best Versatile 12-inch Subwoofer|
|Pioneer TS-W126M||Powerful for its price|
Excellent 95 dB sensitivity
|Best Affordable 12-inch Subwoofer|
|JL Audio 12W0V3-4||Lower than 30 Hz average response|
Durable build quality
Value for money
|Best 12-in Subwoofer with Low Distortion|
|Skar Audio EVL-12 D2||Powerful sound production with deep, punchy bass|
Remains cool at all times
High power output
|Overall Best 12-inch Subwoofer|
|Kicker 12″ 800 Watt DVC||Cool design|
Decent build quality
Satisfying loudness and precision
|Best Designed 12-inch Subwoofer|
Recommended Read: Best Competition Subwoofers for Car
Top 5 Best 12-inch Subwoofers
Rockford Fosgate P3D4-12 Subwoofer
Rockford Fosgate has been a mainstay in the world of automotive audio systems. They are a huge brand and their products have been in millions of vehicles including cars, vans, trucks, and more. Their products have always been top-notch and the Rockford Fosgate P3D4-12 is no exception.
- From the design to the build quality to the sound quality, everything is just awesome. The P3D4-12 is mostly made from solid anodized aluminum which makes it durable yet lightweight. The P3D4-12 manages to look great as well thanks to some elegant-looking chrome elements.
- The P3D4-12 also features something called FlexFit, which allows you to adjust the angle of the subwoofer even after mounting it in place. And the subwoofer is semi-vented so that it doesn’t overheat at any kind of volume.
- When it comes to sound quality the Rockford Fosgate P3D4-12 can go astoundingly loud, which made me feel overwhelmed at times. But even at such ear-numbing loudness, the subwoofer managed to reproduce frequencies consistently and accurately.
The Rockford Fosgate P3D4-12 is an excellent subwoofer with precise bass reproduction and versatile performance. It looks cool and yet is built like a tank. It can sometimes be too loud but that’s a positive as you can also turn it down but can’t turn up if it is not supported. Overall, the P3D4-12 is an excellent subwoofer.
Just like Rockford Fosgate, Pioneer has been a pioneer when it comes to automotive entertainment systems. Pioneer specializes in speakers, subwoofers, audio systems, entertainment systems for cars, vans, trucks, and more.
The Pioneer TS-W126M is priced under 100 dollars but it can put many higher-priced products to shame. It offers tremendous value and should be on the top of your list for a subwoofer if you are constrained by budget.
- The Pioneer TS-W126M can handle 1300 Watts of peak power and up to 350 watts of continuous RMS power. While this may not be as powerful as some other subwoofers on this list, it is still a lot and for under 100 dollars, it’s a lot more than what the competition usually offers.
- It uses an IMPP cone design which reduces distortion and increases the efficiency of the subwoofer. The sound quality is tight and accurate with minimal distortion from the TS-W126M. It is enough to make your vehicle shake and rumble.
- The Pioneer TS-W126M also stands out when it comes to build quality. The subwoofer is primarily made of polypropylene, which is extremely tough and so it will last for a long time. The subwoofer is also designed so that you can mount it inside a sealed or a ported box giving you options. The subwoofer looks good as well, I like the design a lot, it is simple and neat.
Overall, the Pioneer TWS-W126 is an excellent product, it is built well, looks good, and performs surprisingly well for its price. You also get 1 year of warranty. This is the subwoofer to buy for under 100 dollars.
JL Audio 12W0V3-4
The JL Audio 12W0V3-4 is a midrange 12-inch subwoofer that punches well above its weight. This subwoofer from JL Audio can handle a peak power of 600 Watts and an RMS power of 300 Watts, making it powerful yet not over the top.
- The JL Audio 12W0V3-4 is powerful, clear, and offers good tonal quality making it one of my favorite 12-inch subwoofers. The bass is thumpy and tight without muddling the other speakers in the vehicle. And this subwoofer is designed so that there is no distortion even at the highest volumes.
- The JL Audio 12W0V3-4 can be mounted inside ported or sealed enclosures depending on your preference. The subwoofer’s cone is made from a tough polypropylene material that would last for years to come. The cone is also designed to reduce distortion and increase output.
- The only potential downside to this subwoofer is that it uses a single voice coil so wiring circuitry may be limited, but since it is a 4-ohm subwoofer, it can do much better than most single voice coil subwoofers.
Overall, the JL Audio 12W0V3-4 is an excellent subwoofer for the price and I would recommend it for its distortion-less bass output even at high volumes. It also looks nice and feels durable which is a plus.
Skar Audio EVL-12 D2
Another high-end subwoofer that offers excellent sound and build quality for your money is the Skar Audio EVL-12 D2. This one is similar in price and performance to the Rockford Fosgate P3D4-12, which in itself is impressive.
- The Skar Audio EVL-12 D2 is designed exceptionally well. While it loses out on looks to the P3D4-12, it still looks great. The build quality is top-notch thanks to a mostly aluminum build. It also runs cool even though you can hit it with up to 2500W of peak power.
- The high power handling capability, Skar’s signature spider design, 4-layer aluminum voice coil, and effective cooling solution allow it to blow the roof off your car with its loud yet clear bass.
- The quality of the sound from the Skar Audio EVL-12 D2 is only second to the P3D4-12 on this list. The bass from the Skar Audio EVL-12 D2 is clear, tight, smooth, and deep all at the same time.
Overall, the Skar Audio EVL-12 D2 is one of the best 12-inch subwoofers you can buy right now. It is awesome and can get louder than all the subwoofers on this list. The best part is that it retails slightly lower than that of the Rockford P3D4-12, making it a better value product. I would definitely recommend the Skar Audio EVL-12 D2 if you can’t buy the P3D4-12.
Kicker 12″ DVC
If you are looking for a subwoofer for your vehicle that delivers everything you need without breaking the bank then the Kicker 12” Subwoofer might be the one for you. This particular subwoofer doesn’t exactly excel in any one attribute but instead does everything well enough to make it a strong contender.
- The bass performance isn’t exactly the loudest or of the highest quality, there is nothing about the build quality that stands out or it doesn’t offer any fancy features like adjustable cones. What it does offer is an aggressive design, which can make it stand out, and good sound quality and decent build quality.
- And for the price, it just does everything right. It won’t blow your mind or feel like an awesome purchase, but you can’t fault it either. It’s loud enough for most people, and clear and thumpy enough to enjoy any type of music.
All things considered, the Kicker 12” DVC Subwoofer should easily win in its price category as it does everything and nothing wrong. Since it is affordable it offers more value than a few subwoofers on this list.
What hits harder 2 ohm or 4 ohm subwoofers?
A 2-ohm subwoofer would be louder and offer better bass than a 4-ohm subwoofer. This is because the lower the electrical resistance, the higher the sound output/loudness.
What is a good RMS for a subwoofer?
Subwoofers can have an RMS power value of anywhere from 40 Watts to 1000+ Watts. The higher the watts doesn’t necessarily mean better sound quality. Most good 200-300 Watt subwoofers can outperform much higher powered ones. In my opinion, 200-300 Watts RMS power subwoofers are the best when it comes to efficiency and loudness.
How much does the size of a Subwoofer matter?
Generally, the higher the better because the size is proportionate to the air that can be displaced meaning the sound will be louder. But some smaller subwoofers can outperform larger ones. Also, smaller ones can fit much more easily. So in the end it comes to the individual’s needs and the overall performance of the subwoofer itself.
So there you have it, these are the best 12-inch subwoofers you can buy right now. They are excellent products with deep and thumpy bass reproduction. All of them are excellent products with the only cost being the main factor when it comes to deciding between them.
The Rockford and Skar subs are high-end subwoofers that offer the best sound and build quality, while the JL Audio and Kicker subwoofers occupy the midrange. The Pioneer is in a league of its own, being the best budget subwoofer you can buy right now.
So, once you have decided on a budget, get any subwoofer from this list and take your vehicle’s audio performance to the next level.
Greetings! My name is Michael and this is my website Audio Sandwich.
I've been specializing in audio equipment and accessories for a while and have a little something in store for every kind of hi-fi enthusiast.
Based in California, I keep attending special launch events across the globe. This has helped me understand the products better, and with a unique hands-on experience I'm able to provide you with easy to understand reviews about the best in audio tech from around the world.