DJing is a form of art and in order to be the best you’d have to be equipped with a great DJ mixer. There are many brands out there today which solely specialize in DJ equipment such as Numark, Pioneer, Traktor and more.
While most of these brands deal in high-end controllers and mixers, some of them do have a small arsenal of beginner mixers which can help you learn the art of DJing.
Today, we’re going to take you through the best DJ mixers for beginners that you should definitely try today. Some of these products are affordable and have great track records so you won’t go wrong with them.
Here are the top 6 best DJ mixers for beginners.
- Numark M2 Black
- Native Instruments Traktor Kontrol Z2
- Pioneer DJM-250 Mk2
- Behringer NOX101
- Gemini MXR-01
- Allen & Heath Xone:23
Recommended Read: Woofer Vs Subwoofer
Top 6 Best DJ Mixers for Beginners
Numark M2 Black
One of the most popular and sought after mixers for new and upcoming DJs is the M2 Black from Numark. This mixer and built-in audio-interface is one of the best learning tools you can find for under $100.
The M2 comes with 2-decks of audio controls, a 3-band EQ and a built-in USB port allowing you to connect your Mac or Laptop to it. It’s designed to run straight out of the box and would need minimal configuration to work.
You get an arsenal of input modes allowing you to practically mix anything. It even comes with built-in mic controls, a crossfader and a pair of faders, one for each channel. The M2 Black mixer also comes equipped with a range of input/output options such as a mic input, headphone output and a n RCA output which you can use to connect the mixer to a pair of monitor speakers.
- Ideal for beginners to learn on
- Numerous connectivity modes
- Mix control and Mic control
- Plug and play
- 3-band EQ, Filter knobs, Channel faders, Crossfader
Native Instruments Traktor Kontrol Z2
The Traktor Kontrol Z2 is a top notch DJ mixer that comes with a rugged body and built-in controllers allowing you to master the art of DJing. This mid-sized DJ mixer is priced at around $650 and comes with 2 stand-alone and 2 remix channels.
This DJ mixer follows the club standard layout of controls and each half of the deck has the same controls and functions such as cues, loops, FX and more. This mixer runs smoothly and you’d be able to take full advantage of it when you run the Traktor Pro DJ software on your PC/Mac alongside your Traktor Kontrol DJ Deck.
Similar in appearance to other mixers from the Traktor series, the Z2 is everything you need to develop creative mixes at your fingertips. Each of the pads light up with RGB colors and based on system specs, this controller requires a 4GB RAM and a minimum of an i5 processor to run.
- 2-channel system
- RGB pads for cues, loops and samples
- 3-band EQ
- Sturdy build
- Functions well alongside Traktor Pro DJ software
Pioneer is a name we’re all familiar with as one of the most efficient car audio system manufacturers in the world. But, this brand is soaring sky high with their range of DJ essentials such as their DJ DJM series of DJ mixers and controllers.
The DJ DJM-250 is a powerful DJ mixer for beginners that’s priced at just under $400 on Amazon. This mixer is a lightweight and compact unit that lets you mix and create any blend of music from pretty much anywhere.
It comes equipped with a 2-channel layout that features a pair of high-quality sensitive channel faders, and a robust mix fader. It comes with an easy to use interface that you connect your PC/Mac/Smartphone to DJ on the go.
- Compatible with WeDJ, Rekordbox, Djay and Edjing Mix apps for all platforms
- Sound color FX filters
- Fader and cross faders
- Dedicated 3-band isolators
One of the most expensive DJ mixers for beginners in the market today is the NOX101 from Behringer. This is an ultra slim and compact mixer you can get for under $400 on Amazon and it comes equipped with a 2-channel interface and loads of controls to help you DJ successfully.
The NOX101 comes with a VCA controlled cross and channel faders along with 2-channel controls which easy to use. You will definitely have a great time learning with the NOX101 since it grants you access to all the required DJ tools you’d need for your performance.
Considering that this is one of the most premium DJ mixers out there, the NOX101 should be on your bucket list as one of the best DJ mixers to try today. It’s made in Germany, so there’s no doubt that the NOX101 uses some high-quality components. But in overall terms of performance, we found the Allen & Heath Xone or the Pioneer DJM-250 to be way better.
- 3-band EQ built-in
- 2 phono/line-in input modes with individual gain controls
- Mic input with XENYX mic preamp
- Plug and play design
Regardless of whether you’re new to the game or have been DJing for years, the MXR-01 is one mixer that has been designed to meet all your needs and requirements. It’s a simple and easy to use device that has an all-metal structure making it durable and reliable.
It comes with a 3-band EQ per channel, cross fader, reverse controls and a wide range of output selections. It’s truly everything you need to have in order to successfully DJ. Though the MXR-01 is a compact and rather slim mixer, it does pack a punch.
This lightweight and rugged DJ mixer is one you should definitely consider buying. You can start scratching and mixing music with ease and with the MXR-01 you’re able to easily adjust the highs, mids and lows of each channel.
- 2-channe design
- 3-band EQ
- Crossfader and faders
- MIDI output, headphone jack, USB bus power, RCA output
Allen & Heath Xone:23
All Allen & Heath products are expensive and their XONE:23 is no different. This 2+2-channel professional DJ mixer is a beast of a unit with dual phono and line inputs allowing you to connect multiple components simultaneously.
It features a VCF filter system that delivers low and high frequency with resonance controls. You also receive an external FX loop function and a 3-band EQ for ultimate music editing. The filters, cues, fades are illuminated and ensure easy control whereas the input knobs, frequency and mic level knob are not illuminated.
In total, the Xone:23 can support up to 4 input modes and can either be plugged into your monitor speakers or a recorder. Yes, this is probably one of the best DJ mixers for beginners, if you’re someone looking to learn DJing the hard way.
- 2+2-channel system
- VCF filter with low and high frequencies
- 3-band EQ
- External FX loops
- Durable build
Best DJ mixers for beginners – Buyers guide
Deciding on which DJ mixer to begin with may be a task if you do not know what you’re looking for. This brief list of things to consider will help you decide which DJ mixer is best suited for you.
- Crossfader and Faders – Every DJ mixer comes equipped with vertical faders that let you control the volume of each channel and a horizontal crossfader that lets you blend between both channels, thus creating a single track. The vertical faders are split into three targeting specific frequencies of sound such as high, medium and low. You can always resort to using the faders and crossfader on the software you’re plugged into for easier control.
- Interface – Another key factor you need to consider is the interface of the mixer and what you feel comfortable with. Ensure that the mixer comes with a headphone output you can use to monitor your mixes, RCA outputs to connect speakers and USB/Bluetooth connectivity so you can connect to different devices. Also make sure the mixer has a microphone jack in case you’re hosting a live event and you don’t have a PA system on hand.
- Software – DJ mixers are generally compatible with all kinds of PC/Mac and some even come compatible with smartphones too. Check if the mixer requires software to run and if you have the minimum system requirements to support the mixer. Some DJ mixers offer free compatibility with any mixing software whereas others would have a designated software that would require a license.
Greetings! My name is Michael and this is my website Audio Sandwich.
I've been specializing in audio equipment and accessories for a while and have a little something in store for every kind of hi-fi enthusiast.
Based in California, I keep attending special launch events across the globe. This has helped me understand the products better, and with a unique hands-on experience I'm able to provide you with easy to understand reviews about the best in audio tech from around the world.