With the long-awaited release of the new Sony PlayStation 5, the life-like visual experience is the best one yet. Beating almost every other gaming console in terms and specs and gaming experience the Sony has outdone themselves with this magnificent beast.
Sony has also decided to up the audio experience with their top-of-the-line gaming headphones. Today I’m going to compare two of the most well-reviewed and purchased headphones, in Sony PlayStation Platinum Wireless headset vs Sony PlayStation Pulse 3D.
Before we get started I’m sure you must be wondering why use only Sony headphones when you can use other brands as well.
The answer is simple, the experience is just not the same. You have to understand apart from Sony being a top contender in the gaming console industry, they are even a bigger player in the realm of sound and home entertainment. With the introduction of the new 3D listening experience, it truly does feel like the future is here.
After testing both amazing headphones, here are some of the important things you need to know before making the right decision for your console and gaming experience.
So let’s get started with Sony PlayStation Platinum Wireless Headset vs Sony PlayStation Pulse 3D.
Recommended Read: Best Audio Quality Gaming Headset
Sony PlayStation Platinum Wireless Headset vs Sony PlayStation Pulse 3D
Sony PlayStation Platinum Wireless Headset
Let’s start with the PlayStation Platinum Wireless Headset. At first glance, the wireless headphones look amazing with great detail to design. It is made to be durable with amazing sound and ultra-comfortable cushioning for less fatigue on the ears during long hours of gaming.
- The battery installed has extended life, perfect to last through the night when gaming with your friends, and works while in charge as well for uninterrupted gaming pleasure.
- The built-in microphones are one of the best for gaming because they actively cancel out disturbances and noise while capturing your voice. Making sure you and your online mates have the best communication while gaming.
- It has massive 50mm drivers that provide excellent sound with 7.1 surround sound that help you immerse yourself into the game for an excellent gaming experience especially while playing first-person shooter games like Fortnite and Call of Duty.
- Though designed for the PS4, the wireless headphones are compatible with the PS5 as well, providing the same experience offered in a PS4 if not better. This is the advantage of using Sony’s official first-party headset.
The Platinum wireless is made from a combination of high-quality plastic, metal, and rubber. Two metal plates are used to hold the frame together making it sturdy and durable. A rubber strap is fitted beneath metal to provide a snug-fitting and the rest of the body is made of high-quality toughened plastic.
The headphones are designed to fold to make them portable and easy to carry. It is light in weight, weighing only 318.2g. The ear pads are made of pleather material that offers excellent comfort during long hours of gaming.
The headphones have a strong and tight low end that is just right, with the mids and highs sounding more focused for the surround effect.
They aren’t ideal for movies or sports as they’re strictly designed for music but they can be used to connect to your TV, just not the best experience.
Battery life and connectivity
The headphones provide a total battery back-up of about 12 to 14 hours, this is possible if the audio levels are at medium or less than medium. At full blast, you can expect good 6-8 hours of use from the Sony Platinum.
- Immersive, excellent sound, and value for money.
- Designed specifically for the PS4, but is also compatible with the PS5.
- Provides 3D Audio on select games that have the 3D sound feature enabled.
- Massive 50mm speaker drivers for High-quality surround sound.
- Designed to have a snug fit around the PlayStation VR glasses.
- Super soft and comfortable ear pads that cause less fatigue on the ears during long hours of gaming.
- The headphones can be folded easily and kept in a pouch for easy portability.
Sony PlayStation – Pulse 3D Wireless Headset
These swanky-looking headphones are the Sony Pulse 3D wireless headset, they are designed mainly for the PS5 gaming consoles. What makes this headphone stand out is its low wireless audio latency for real-time sound output for an excellent gaming experience.
- These wireless headphones provide low latency on all compatible gaming consoles as well as being compatible with Gaming PCs. It is also compatible with the older PS4. you can use two modes to connect to the above, The first is via wireless USB receiver, or you can connect the console via ⅛” TRRS cable.
- The Sony Pulse 3D has been carefully tuned by the professional engineers at Sony to deliver the best 3D experience possible through the PlayStation 5 console. The wireless 3D headset is powered by Tempest 3D AudioTech that can create an ultimate experience of completely being immersed into the soundscapes where you will have the best surround sound experience from every direction.
- Unlike the Platinum wireless series, the Pulse 3D has Dual high-quality microphones that provide crystal clear voice capture with advanced noise-cancellation technology. If you love gaming for long hours, this wireless headset will last longer than you with over 12 hours of wireless play and has a short recharge time.
- The only downside with the pulse 3D is that there are no options to customize your sound, but Sony has done a good job with onboard programmed EQ. Such sounds good but might be questionable by audiophiles. Overall these wireless headsets are excellent headphones for gaming on the PS5.
The first thing you will notice is that the headphones match the PS5 seamlessly with its two-tone black and white color combo. It has an adjustable top strap that fits perfectly on top of your head adjusting itself for the best possible comfort. It is light in weight coming in at about 295 grams, which is fair enough compared to other over-ear headphones.
It has 40mm medium-sized drivers that are housed perfectly for a snug fit that is just enough to keep it in place. This helps when gaming for long hours as it doesn’t apply too much pressure over the ears. The ear pads are made of high-quality leather that feels soft and good on the skin.
The Pulse 3D has a medium-sized 40mm driver that offers good tight low end, and excellent highs and mids. Sony has followed this style of sound for their gaming headphones to provide the user the ability to game long hours with much fatigue and to encourage vocal and surround sound.
Battery life and connectivity
The headphones lasted a good 12 hours on medium levels of volume but felt it regressed faster when using them at higher levels of volume. It still provided a good 9 hours of backup which I felt was much better than the platinum.
- Durable build quality and slick design that blends with the PS5 console.
- Excellent HD clarity sound, with solid low-end bass.
- Exclusive 3D Audio with PS5 gaming console.
- Compatible with PS5, PS4, PC, and Mac Via Bluetooth.
- Reasonable value for money.
- Excellent battery life for over 11-hour.
|Sony PlayStation Platinum Wireless Headset||Sony PlayStation Pulse 3D|
|Drivers||50mm Drivers||40mm Drivers|
|Audio Technology||7.1 3D Surround Sound||Pulse 3D Audio|
|Microphone||Dual Microphones||Dual Microphones|
|Compatible With||PS4, PS5, PC, PS V, Smartphone||PS4, PS5, PC, PS VR, MAC, Smartphone|
|Connectivity||Bluetooth, 3.5mm Audio Jack||Bluetooth, 3.5mm Audio Jack|
|What’s in the Box||Headset, USB-A to Micro-B, 3.5mm Cable, USB Charging Adapter||Headset, USB-A to Micro-B, 3.5mm Cable, USB Charging Adapter|
Sony PlayStation Platinum Wireless Headset vs. Sony Pulse 3D Headset: Which is Best for PlayStation 4/PlayStation 5?
Both the Sony PlayStation Platinum and Sony Pulse 3D Headset are completely compatible with both PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5. The Platinum wireless headset is built a little differently compared to the Pulse as it has a 50mm driver compared to the smaller 40mm driver on the Pulse 3D.
The Sony PlayStation Platinum offers 3D audio on both PS4 exclusively and on PS5 for select titles. Pulse 3D offers the surround 3D experience only for the PS5 and not on the PS4. So if you have a PS4 and planning on upgrading to a PS5 later it is best you purchase the Pulse 3D after upgrading and if you plan on using your PS4 and upgrading later the PlayStation Platinum is my first choice for you.
Is the Pulse 3D headset better than platinum?
The Sony PlayStation Platinum headphone is different from the Pulse 3D, apart from the fact the Platinum headphones came out before the Pulse, the Platinum has massive 50mm drivers compared to the smaller 40mm driver on the pulse. The Platinum is the only wireless headphones that are compatible with 3D audio on the PS4, the Pulse 3D cannot offer this.
So I would say both are excellent headphones, it depends on the console you are using to choose the right one for you. For PS4 it’s the Platinum for you, if it’s the PS5 the Pulse 3D is most preferred even though the platinum can work with it as well.
Greetings! My name is Michael and this is my website Audio Sandwich.
I've been specializing in audio equipment and accessories for a while and have a little something in store for every kind of hi-fi enthusiast.
Based in California, I keep attending special launch events across the globe. This has helped me understand the products better, and with a unique hands-on experience I'm able to provide you with easy to understand reviews about the best in audio tech from around the world.